The Eötvös Loránd University, founded by Péter Pázmány, Cardinal of Esztergom, was originally launched as a Jesuit university consisting of a humanities and a theology faculty. Our Faculty is the oldest faculty of the university, and started academic work right after foundation, on 13 November 1635, and save for a few years of war-induced forced recess (in the 17th century), it has been in continuous operation ever since. In 1770 the reforms implemented earlier at the University of Vienna were introduced at the Faculty of Humanities, too. The Jesuit university and the Faculty came under state control. Together with the rest of the university, the Faculty moved to the royal castle of Buda in 1777, and relocated to the city of Pest in 1784. Now It functions with 16 institutes and 8000 students as the largest faculty of Hungarian higher education.

For more informations visit the official website of Eötvös Loránd University.

contentmap_plugin